The Beneteau Figaro 2, designed by Marc Lombard (whose latest Class 40 won the Route du Rhum among 53 Class 40s), has proven offshore capability and has been the fundamental building block boat for the great French shorthanded sailors, such as Michel Desjoyeaux, Armel LeCleac’h, Jean Le Cam, Jeremie Beyou, Yann Elies, Francois Gabart and many more. 7 of 8 Vendee Globe winners have come from this Figaro class. Their iconic race, the annual Solitaire du Figaro, is in four stages (500 miles each), singlehanded, with a different course every year. With ~50 one-design boats on the starting line, it is likely the hardest sailboat race in the world to win. As an example, their 2015 course included the Fastnet course simply as Stage 3.
- Category “A” offshore rated
- 33′ LOA, 11′ Beam, 6.5′ draft, 3.1 ton displacement
- Fiberglass hull, carbon mast, aluminum boom, steel keelfin, lead bulb
- Fixed keel, twin rudders, traditional spinnaker rig
- Sailed shorthanded or with 4-5 crew (COSC goal: 4 students plus 1 Safety Officer)